It is all too often we hear about businesses who are denying LGBT people services. We see the cases, hear reports from friends, and read the news articles. But we don’t hear enough about the positives-- the businesses that are doing the right thing. The businesses who do not allow discrimination, have LGBT inclusive policies, and are proactive in promoting inclusion. Let's take a look at a good example.
On October 7th, Hotel Vandivort presented PROMO’s inaugural Seek Pride Springfield Scavenger Hunt. Hotel Vandivort was PROMO’s first presenting sponsor at any Springfield event, and that level of support is monumental in several ways. The fact that Hotel Vandivort is listed as one of the top 10 hotels in Missouri from US News, AND is inclusive, says a lot to the people of Missouri. This inclusive sponsor says to Missourians that equality matters during your stay at the hotel, while using the event venue, and as you are sitting at the bar drinking and eating. Hotel Vandivort understands the impact of being an LGBT inclusive business sponsor.
Our hope is that businesses in this state will follow Hotel Vandivort’s position on equality by taking a stance to be inclusive of the Missouri’s LGBT community.
Here are FIVE reasons Missouri needs LGBT inclusive businesses:
- Being inclusive increases talent pool, therefore saving businesses hundreds of dollars on talent recruitment. Plus, more Americans support businesses that are diverse.
2. Good Business
- In a recent study, nearly half of Americans said they are more likely to spend money with businesses that are supportive of the LGBT community.
3. Improved Health
- Employees who are not out at their job experience higher levels of stress and anxiety. Businesses that have inclusive fair policies improve the health of LGBT Missourians..
4. Influence Lawmakers
- There are over 1,100 businesses in Missouri that support the Missouri Nondiscrimination Act. In 2016, hundreds of businesses took a stand against anti-LGBT SJR 39, and because of this support, the bill died.
5. It is simply the right thing to do.