As a statewide organization, we don’t often get involved in federal or national politics as much as some other organizations. We know that our focus in Jefferson City and in our local communities truly affects the lives of Missourians in meaningful, tangible ways. Like last night, we had the opportunity to spend time with nearly 40 folks in St. Charles County, talking with them about ways to make their communities even more welcoming.
But there is too much at stake right now for us to not be involved in the dangerous actions we are seeing at the federal level. All this week, there have been rumors and leaked drafts of potential anti-LGBT Executive Orders. We are ready to respond quickly to this if it comes to fruition, but in the meantime, we still have lots of work to do.
Because of all of that, you will see us talk even more about the current presidency, some of the nominations, and definitely federal Executive Orders. In some cases, we may ask you to take specific actions to resist, call out, and question.
Here are six things you can do right now:
- If you haven’t already, fill out this survey and commit to being involved in the coming days, weeks, and months.
- Call your US Senators and/or fill out this form to voice your concerns against the recent SCOTUS nominee, Neil Gorsuch, who would be a dangerous pick for all of us.
- Be ready for an anti-LGBT Executive Order. By “be ready,” we mean be ready to resist, be ready to find and give support, and be ready to be open to more information about what an EO would actually mean for you and your family.
- Join one of the several marches or events happening in your area here.
- Give a gift to PROMO. One of the things we are most grateful for in this work are opportunities to train and assist health providers, community members, business leaders, and social service agencies in LGBT inclusion and competency. Where this work is successful, nothing -- no EO, no policy, no speech -- can make someone deny services, rights, and dignity to a customer or client.
- Self care. Right now self care is of the utmost importance. Check out
these tips to stay engaged in the resistance while at the same time taking care of YOU first.
Let me be clear. This does not take away from our critical work at the state level. Do not let what is happening at the national level to distract you from our challenges and successes right here at home. This is the time to dig in and be involved at every level.
Thank you for staying strong through these critical times with us and our coalition partners. We are always staying strong with you.